Family Tree

Family Tree

Monday, October 5, 2015

The Hidden Key

            When I was a little girl, on Sunday mornings my Dad would sit at the kitchen table and play solitaire while he listened to hymns on the radio.  His favorite hymn was "How Great Thou Art" and when it came on the radio he would sing along with all his heart.  When he was younger he was a Choir Boy and an Altar Boy.  But he doesn't go to church anymore because the church changed too much and he doesn't think a church should change.  But every Sunday when he heard that song and I heard him sing it, I would feel very sad and very lonely inside and I never knew why.
            Then one Sunday, after I had joined the LDS church and I was sitting in Sacrament meeting a new member of this new faith, we began with the opening hymn.  And guess what song we sang?  That's right -  "How Great Thou Art".  Imagine my surprise.  As I soaked it in, the feelings that rushed through me were not those feelings of sadness and loneliness that I had always experienced when I heard it on the radio.  The feelings I now felt were of joy and gladness, feelings that I had come home!  And I cried, oh how I cried and I thought everyone would think I was crazy.  But they didn't because in this church, everyone cries because everyone feels this thing they call the Spirit!
            It's this connection to something greater that kept me coming back for more.  This connection to HOME that I was not about to let go of.  I found it, I knew it existed, I knew it was there somewhere, I knew I had to keep going, and I knew I had to let as many people know about it as would listen.  The song was a hidden key to opening the greatest treasure on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment